AFL’s New FlexScan® FleXpress™ Mode Completes OTDR Test in Seconds
Lowell, MA and Spartanburg, SC – October 31, 2018 – AFL introduces FleXpress Fast OTDR Test for its popular FlexScan family of performance-packed, pocket-sized OTDRs. Test time continues to be a major factor in fiber optic network installation costs, as OTDRs often require a full minute or more to characterize a single optical fiber at 1310 and 1550 nm. AFL’s innovative FleXpress fast OTDR test mode completes dual-wavelength network verification in less than 5 seconds per fiber. “With today’s optical cables often containing 1,500 or more fibers, testing an entire cable at one minute per fiber would take over 25 hours—double that if the network operator requires bidirectional OTDR test results,” explained Michael Scholten, senior product marketing manager at AFL. “FlexScan with its award-winning FleXpress mode can complete the same test in just over two hours, less than one tenth the time!
FleXpress test results are automatically stored in Telcordia-compatible .SOR files and are easily uploaded for flexible, professional reporting using AFL's TRM® 2.0 Test Results Manager software.
FlexScan with FleXpress mode plus a USB-controlled MPO switch provides the fastest multi-fiber OTDR test in the industry. Couple this with FlexScan's pocket-sized form factor, light weight, rugged package and technician-friendly ease-of-use for a cost-effective fiber optic installation verification and troubleshooting test tool. Features include:
- High dynamic range 1310/1550 nm OTDR for both point-to-point & PON testing
- Filtered 1650 nm OTDR for live PON testing
- Short dead zones, including 20 m PON dead zone
- SmartAuto® multi-pulse acquisition with both trace view and LinkMap® icon-based display
- Integrated light source & power meter with CW, fiber-identifying tone generation plus WaveID multi-wavelength optical loss test
- Integrated visible red laser
- Integrated Bluetooth® communications to optional wireless inspection probe
- Includes TRM 2.0 professional report generation software
- Smallest full-function OTDR in the industry
- And now the fastest multi-wavelength, multi-fiber OTDR test in the industry
FleXpress is available as a free update to FlexScan FS200-300 (1310/1550 nm) and FS200-304 (1310/1550/1650 nm) point-to-point and PON OTDRs.
For additional information about AFL, its products and services, visit www.AFLglobal.com.
Founded in 1984, AFL is an international manufacturer providing end-to-end solutions to the energy, service provider, enterprise and industrial markets as well as several emerging markets. The company’s products are in use in over 130 countries and include fiber optic cable and hardware, transmission and substation accessories, outside plant equipment, connectivity, test and inspection equipment, fusion splicers and training. AFL also offers a wide variety of services supporting data center, enterprise, wireless and outside plant applications.
Headquartered in Spartanburg, SC, AFL has operations in the U.S., Mexico, Canada, Europe, Asia and Australia, and is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Fujikura Ltd. of Japan. For more information, visit www.AFLglobal.com.
Senior Product Marketing Manager
Public Relations Manager